‘Right Persons For The Right Job’ – Performers of Punjab
If we look at the recent past and analyze the performance of the government departments, there will be a common pattern in most of the departments. A common factor is that the political appointments in these departments were made just for the sake of awarding a position.
But this practice has been changed by the current government and we are seeing more relevant people being appointed at the key positions.
Shaikh Muhammad Imran as known as SM Imran, the current vice-chairman of LDA (Lahore Development Authority)
He is the prime example of the ‘Right Person for the right job. He has not been merely a political appointment but totally justifies the position he holds.
He’s an accomplished entrepreneur offering over 15 years of experience driving revenue through building and maintaining client relationships and has worked in Pakistan and international markets with interest in textile, leather, property development, chemical, banking, family entertainment facility, and poultry farming.
SM Imran has won GOLD MEDALLION AWARD by the International Export Association, the UK to in recognition of its export achievements.
After being appointed as the Vice-Chairman of LDA, SM Imran has achieved some major milestones in transforming the city of Lahore. Prime Minister Imran Khan has also publicly praised his performance when it comes to LDA.
Let’s take a look at some of the key points of his performance as the VC of LDA:
Legislative reforms in LDA:
Building and Zoning Regulations, 2019.
Landuse Rules, 2019.
Landuse Regulations, 2020.
Private Housing Schemes Rules, 2019.
Appointment of Legal Advisors/Consultants/Law Firms Regulations, 2019.
Escrow Accounts Regulations, 2021.
Allotment of Public Utility Sites of LDA Regulations, 2019.
Auction of Lease Rights of LDA Owned Properties Regulations, 2019.
Auction of Parking Rights of LDA Owned Plazas/Sites Regulations, 2019.
Joint Venture Rules (underway).
- Online appointments system for submission of documents
- Detail checklists availability
- INSAF Portal online receivable for Litigation, Court orders, Construction complaints
- Mobile Insaaf App & LDA Web Portal for submitting buildings plans
- Dashboard monitoring system to ensure the facilitation of end-user
- Establishment of E-Khidmat Center
- Facilitation Desk for Overseas Pakistanis
- NADRA verification counter at One Window, LDA
- Disabled persons friendly measurements (ramps, wheelchairs, staff training)
MASTER PLAN OF LAHORE DIVISION 2050
There has been a plan for 2050 underway for Lahore where LDA has envisioned the overview of Lahore Division in 2050. It’s pleasant to see that we’re finally witnessing the planning of the next decades, not only the next election.
Land retrieved by LDA (kanals)
- 2018: 147 Kanals
- 2019: 86 Kanals
- 2020: 189 Kanals
- 2021: 18 Kanals
The number of operations:
- 2018: 545
- 2019: 686
- 2020: 1389
- 2021: 734
One Window Application:
Private Housing Scheme Rules
This was a sneak peek of the performance of LDA and it is safe to say that ‘actions speak louder than words. Moreover, SM Imran takes a personal interest in listening to public queries and responding to them. He has held multiple live sessions on Facebook where he answered the queries.
Apart from that, he reads the comments on his social media and responds to them as well.
Dr. Yasmin Rashid:
She’s another face of bravery and professionalism in the team of Prime Minister Imran Khan. Dr. Yasmin Rashid was initially criticized for her performance as the minister of health in Punjab but she has turned out to be a great performer. The way she has handled the Corona Pandemic is being lauded internationally & nationally.
She has headed the war against COVID-19 at a time when she herself was fighting the battle of cancer. She was going through her cancer treatment and handled the COVID-19 situation in Punjab as well. Some Key achievements of the health ministry of Punjab under the leadership of Dr. Yasmin Rashid:
Mother and Child Health Initiative
- Setting up of 7 new Mother & Child Hospitals at Mianwali, Layyah, Attock, Rajanpur & Bahawalnagar (low on Mother & Child health indicators) , University at Children Hospital, and Ganga Ram Quaternary Hospital
- Construction work at Mianwali Hospital has started. Prime Minister of Pakistan performed the groundbreaking
- Civil work for 400 bedded Mother and Child Hospital Quaternary Hospital at Ganga Ram Lahore is underway. Chief Minister Punjab Sardar Usman Buzdar performed the Ground Breaking
- Preparatory work on setting up of University of Child Health at Children Hospital Lahore is underway
The Corona Pandemic took the world a by a surprise by its sheer scale. Pakistan story is being termed by the global experts as an amazing success story. Here are some initiatives.
- Setting up of 14 BSL 3 Labs in Punjab
- Enabling 51 BSL -3 Labs for Corona Testing
- Establishment of Institutional Framework through Cabinet Committee and Corona Expert Advisory Group for ownership and oversight by the highest offices
- Enhancing the Testing Capacity from 2000 in March to 14,000 in August
- Setting of 1000-bedded Field Hospital at Expo Center Lahore
- Setting of Quarantine Centers in Lahore, DG Khan, Multan, Kala Shah Kaku, Raiwind
- Setting up of Special Corona Special Monitoring Cells at PSH, SHME and Mayo Hospital
- Setting up of Special Trace, Track, Quarantine Cell at PSH
- Scaling up the capacity of ICUs, HDUs and Quarantine Facilities at PKLI, Mayo Hospital, Nishter Multan, Rawalpindi Institute of Urology
- Coordination with donors for support to marginalized communities
- Provision of PPEs to Hospitals
- Provision of special allowance for doctors and other staff serving Corona patients
Sehat Insaf Cards: The government has distributed 5 million Sehat Insaf Cards in 36 districts so far. A cover of Rs 720,000 is provided as part of the package in govt and private sector empanelled hospitals. In the long run, the government plans to cover full population. Initially, the cards are being provided to families having incomes less than two dollars a day. More public and private hospitals are being empanelled in it.
Dr. Murad Raas:
He’s the minister of school education for Punjab and we have witnessed some ground-breaking initiatives in the education department. Let’s take a look at the key initiatives:
Insaf Afternoon School:
The high drop-out rate of students at the post-primary level is a grave national issue that needs to be addressed. One major cause of students dropping out after primary level is the lack of middle and high schools in their respective areas.
To ensure retention and to enroll out-of-school children, Insaf Afternoon School Programme was launched in 2019 in selected districts. Existing school buildings are being used to maximize the use of available resources.
The program was launched in 570 schools in the first phase. More than 21,000 students have been enrolled in the program so far.
The program is now being expanded to 1000 schools across the province.