Tello Talk: Pakistan’s own app with end-to-end encryption
- TelloTalk is a locally developed social media platform that uses encrypted technology for communication.
- As per TelloTalk representative “Data Privacy and Data Security has been taken very seriously when developing TelloTalk.
- TelloTalk’s mission is to connect the unconnected in Pakistan and to help a nation find its voice.
Pakistan’s first app for communication
Privacy concerns arising from foreign messaging applications collecting the data of Pakistan’s citizens has been a security concern and now our citizens have been actively exploring an alternative solution. So, why not use TelloTalk Pakistan ka Apna messenger instead of adopting International Messengers. TelloTalk is a locally developed social media platform that uses encrypted technology for communication and hosts its data servers within Pakistan to safeguard private communication.
As per TelloTalk representative “Data Privacy and Data Security has been taken very seriously when developing TelloTalk and since past 3 years we are constantly trying to improve our platform security. Our mission is to have a platform that Pakistanis everywhere would be proud to call home”
Pakistan continues to add millions of new internet users every month. While this increasing online presence is exciting, Pakistani youth struggle to find representation in social platforms that integrate local languages, content, cultural preferences and services. To address these concerns, TelloTalk cater to users’ most important needs by deploying:
- Rich regional language communications (keyboards, stickers) and user interface options.
- Integrated local language content (News, Music, Videos, Games, Live Radio) to consume and share instantly.
- Hyper-localized User Generated Content stream (Stories), such as local language powered video and picture content featuring selfies, poetry, recipes, religious content, DIY, humor etc
- Subject based Chatrooms to help our community find like-minded friends.
- Future ambitions are upcoming additions of Social Commerce, Peer-to-Peer Payments, and Integrated Business Micro-Services.
These all make sense as 60% of our mobile internet time is being spent on Messaging applications, and to connect the unconnected in Pakistan and drive digital adoption and public development using Messaging as a Services Interface is a great initiative. TelloTalk is localized, not just in terms of the languages and content it supports, but also the entire infrastructure, redundancies as well as data are also locally hosted.
We also observed that global messaging platforms offer little to no support for localization, in terms of regional language support or an understanding of local cultures and values.
Since none of these platforms have any corporate or infrastructure presence in Pakistan they cannot comply with local regulations to enable critical services such as digital payments and eGovernment. If we further dive into it then TelloTalk is a perfect Platform to unleash the potential of a digitally enabled Pakistan.
TelloTalk is Pakistan’s first fully homegrown social messaging platform. Launched in July 2017, TelloTalk has had over 1 million downloads, 90% of which are from Pakistan, and continues to grow rapidly.
TelloTalk also has been honored with several industry awards and mainstream media coverage in Pakistan, and the distinction to represent Pakistan at Google for Startups Demo Day in Thailand in 2019.
TelloTalk’s mission is to connect the unconnected in Pakistan and to help a nation find its voice. We believe we can help improve the lives of citizens through digitization and aggregation of local content, commerce and business services on a single social media platform.
For more information:
Ms. Farnaz Shama